In isiZulu, the word “sihlangene” means “we stand together”. Now, more than ever, this sentiment rings true, and especially during the challenging times we are currently facing due to the Covid-19 breakout, being united is key to our mental and physical wellbeing.
In this regard, HospiceWits recognised the need to put together a psychosocial service team that could render their services on a broader scale, assisting employees of HospiceWits, as well as its clients, their families and communities that require mental healthcare services.
Sihlangene is a specialist psychosocial team comprising a qualified general practitioner with a postgraduate specialist qualification in palliative medicine, a psychiatric nurse specialist and a diverse group of counsellors hailing from various training backgrounds and with varied experience. Experienced frontline workers, management and coordinators involved with the Hospice Association of the Witwatersrand, and a close collaborative partner who manages our day-to-day operations round out the team.
Together, this group of experts allows Sihlangene to provide the highest quality of mental care services, which include, but are not limited to:
- Grief, loss and bereavement
- Spiritual distress
- Domestic violence
- Fatigue and burnout syndrome
- Family problems
- Relationship problems
- Social withdrawal and isolation
- Quality of life and vitality
- Quality of death and dying in life-threatening illnesses
- Dementia and family support
- General healthcare counselling
- Home-based care counselling
- Palliative care counselling
- Hospice care counselling
- Combating negative coping strategies
- Holistic mental health education and coaching, focused on psychological, social, and spiritual wellbeing as a whole
- Mindfulness and alternative approaches to holistic health
Sihlangene’s services utilise a variety of methodology and approaches and offer one-on-one counselling or family meetings at its offices, as well as online remote counselling via Skype or Zoom and telephonic and WhatsApp support.
If you would like to find out more about Sihlangene’s services, please contact our office on 011 483 9100 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.