In isiZulu, the word “sihlangene” means “we stand together”. Now, more than ever, this sentiment rings true, and especially during the challenging times we are currently facing due to the Covid-19 breakout, being united is key to our mental and physical wellbeing.
In this regard, HospiceWits recognised the need to put together a psychosocial service team that could render their services on a broader scale, assisting employees of HospiceWits, as well as its clients, their families and communities that require mental healthcare services.
Sihlangene is a specialist psychosocial team comprising a qualified general practitioner with a postgraduate specialist qualification in palliative medicine, a psychiatric nurse specialist and a diverse group of counsellors hailing from various training backgrounds and with varied experience. Experienced frontline workers, management and coordinators involved with the Hospice Association of the Witwatersrand, and a close collaborative partner who manages our day-to-day operations round out the team.
Together, this group of experts allows Sihlangene to provide the highest quality of mental care services, which include, but are not limited to:
- Grief, loss and bereavement
- Spiritual distress
- Domestic violence
- Fatigue and burnout syndrome
- Family problems
- Relationship problems
- Social withdrawal and isolation
- Quality of life and vitality
- Quality of death and dying in life-threatening illnesses
- Dementia and family support
- General healthcare counselling
- Home-based care counselling
- Palliative care counselling
- Hospice care counselling
- Combating negative coping strategies
- Holistic mental health education and coaching, focused on psychological, social, and spiritual wellbeing as a whole
- Mindfulness and alternative approaches to holistic health
Sihlangene’s services utilise a variety of methodology and approaches and offer one-on-one counselling or family meetings at its offices, as well as online remote counselling via Skype or Zoom and telephonic and WhatsApp support.